Monday 2 August 2021

Back out there

Well, not really back out there (the Ballintoy Place) - this one is from a while back but printed yesterday morning:


Ballintoy.  Cropped to 6x12 format from 35mm. HP5+/ID-11, on MGV paper.  There's just a hint of detail in the big rock formation on the right, which I like.

I've a new bit of kit in the darkroom - an LED light box.  Nothing expensive, a charity shop find by my wife, for the princely sum of £1 (so it's probably the least expensive thing in the darkroom, by some mileage). It was marketed as a Birthday Message thing and has three 'rows' separated by plastic strips.  There were no letters with it (probably accounting for the low price) but I would have been binning those anyway.  Amazingly, a strip of 120 negatives fits perfectly between the plastic strips...almost as if it's made for them.  I'm already wondering how I ever did manage without one, as I can see at a glance which negatives are worth printing and which are just 'Meh...'.  Too many in the latter category, of course but you have to try.  

3 comments:

  1. That's a relaxing photo. Nicely balanced.
    Congrats on your light box. How did you judge negatives before? I used to hold mine up to a window when I was too lazy to get the light box out of the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Before the light box appeared I used to (hangs head in shame) scan the negatives. Then in the darkroom I would hold them up to the light to find the one I wanted to print. The light box makes it so much easier - I use a chimney finder for the 'Blad as a loupe and it works a treat.

      Delete
    2. Shame! SHAME! I used a 50mm lens for a loupe until I bought a proper one from an expensive company. Schneider? Anyway, it turned out the 50mm lens worked better.
      Using the lightbox instead of scanning will certainly save you a lot of time.

      Delete