Monday 31 May 2021

Portrush

 View from the harbour wall looking at the West Strand:


Portrush, Spring 2021.  On MGV paper.

The big building on the left is the Town Hall (with a new block of apartments beside it).  Towards the right there's the clock tower of the Railway Station and in front of that you've got Barry's Amusements, which has been there for 70-odd years and is famous all over Northern Ireland.  There's a big dipper thing just out of shot to the right.  It's the place we all went to once a year, when we had our pennies saved up for the machines and the bumper cars.  I hear it's up for sale - either for redevelopment or as a going concern.  I suspect whoever buys it will knock it down and put up a whole load of apartments, which will command stratospheric prices given their proximity to the beach and the water.  It'll be the end of an era if it goes, that's for sure.

And if you click on the image for full screen you'll probably be able to make out a Dominos Pizza shop.  They're everywhere these days and to my mind they make awful pizzas (though Missy disagrees).  Almost as bad as the big yellow and red M. 

I've lots of newer negatives queued up to print but it was a scorcher here yesterday (that means 70 degrees) and I just couldn't bring myself to go into the darkroom.  We sat outside and enjoyed the warm air - a rare treat in this part of the world.



2 comments:

  1. This one is very good. Did you have to use a long lens for this photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcus - appreciated. Oh...can't remember exactly but I think it was probably the 150mm, so roughly equivalent to an 80mm in 35mm terms. It's pretty much full frame.

      Funny I hmm'd and haa'd about posting this one. Glad I did now.

      Delete