Thursday 27 May 2021

Lines and washing

 See what I did there?  Washing lines - geddit?  Here's today's masterpiece for your delectation - lines everywhere and the aforementioned washing out on one of them:


Washing Day, Portrush, 2021.  MGV paper.

I've a thing about washing out on the line and some day I'm going to have a whole series of shots on this subject.  I don't know why it attracts me but it does.  It's not what's on the line, it's just the fact that the washing is hung out to dry in the wind (not that the washing in this shot would get much wind, mind you - hat's off to the folk for trying, though).  I think it's because as we get more gentrified it is becoming less and less 'the done thing' to hang your washing out.  I suspect in parts of the world there are bye-laws which prevent people from doing it - "It's just so common, darling - don't you think?" The only alternative is to use the tumble dryer, which consumes electricity and costs £ but it means the neighbours can't see the state of your smalls or the fact that your whites aren't that white any more.  First world problems, eh? Newer houses and apartments often don't have the space for a line but older properties do and thankfully it's still relatively common around these parts to see the bed-sheets out blowing on what my mother would call a good drying day

Hopefully if I get the chance to point a camera at a few lines of washing I'll not be arrested for being some sort of perv. You never know these days - a lot of people seem to have a problem with people touting 'proper' cameras, whereas if you're using a phone you're more or less invisible. Strange times we live in...


2 comments:

  1. "Arnold Layne had a strange hobby . . ." 6x6 film photography! (apologies to the Pink Floyd)
    I like the photo. Great framing. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I just hope no one reports you and the police come around and ask to see what you've been photographing. "Can you wait a week, officer?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I can just imagine the conversation with the police. They'd take one look at my darkroom and run a mile, I should think - mark me down as an harmless oddball (hopefully!). Loved Pink Floyd - had most of their albums at one time. Not scared to do something different...

      And thanks!

      Delete