Thursday 2 January 2020

Shuttered

Downtown Bergamo (Citta Bassa), albeit several centuries newer than the Old Town, still has something to offer.  It's quite tranquil by comparison, but still a very pleasant place to wander around for an hour or two or even a day or two.  It was late afternoon when we were there and there was still a warmth in the sun.  While the ladies hit the shops (which turned out a bit expensive for us with the falling £ these days) I wandered aimlessly around with the rangefinder loaded with my usual HP5+.  This was with the 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M - a lovely little lens, quite compact and takes 39mm filters so it matches the 21mm Voigtlander and the 35mm Summarit I have.

Bergamo shutters, on lith/Foma.

The lith/Foma combination over-exaggerates the warmth, but not by much.  I wasn't totally convinced about the shadow along the bottom, clearly from the building opposite.  But perhaps it gives the shot some grounding, if you see what I mean...

2 comments:

  1. That's so warm that I thought for a minute it was a color image, with the only colors being yellow and brown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach come on now Jim - you know me! But being serious for a moment, although this print is untoned, toning B&W prints is an art in itself and while it’s something I love to do, I’ve only scratched the surface of what is possible. It does raise a few eyebrows in my Club when I put a toned print in the B&W category...

      Delete