Thursday 13 April 2023

More Olympus troubles

In my last post I wrote about bringing an Olympus OM-10 back to life.  I've yet to put a film through it, but everything seems OK, so I'm hopeful.  The shot of the cows was taken on my OM-1.  Not the same OM-1 I had when I was young - that one parted company with me a long time ago, unfortunately.  That pain is slightly mitigated by the fact that it was fairly beat up and had a lot of desilvering of the prism that I understand is common with OM-1s.  The OM-1 I currently have I bought  about 10 years ago.  It was a not-terribly-expensive eBay purchase (around the £50 mark I think) and I sent it off to get cleaned, new light seals and a general check-up.  I was fortunate to hit upon Michael Spencer to do the work - he was absolutely first class, knocking out a small dent on the top plate and re-wiring it so that the meter runs on SR44 batteries, rather than the original (now unavailable) PX625 batteries.  Michael retired a few years ago, which is a pity, as there were a couple of issues with that last film that suggest all is not well with the camera.

The first thing I noticed was a light leak.  It happened intermittently, on a couple of frames near the beginning of the film and again towards the end:


You can see the vertical band towards the left of the first two frames

Then at the end of the film there was something weird happening with the framing:

The framing is off for the last two frames of the film.

Since I developed the film I've fired the shutter a few times at different speeds (with the back open) and everything seems fine, but obviously I'm only eye-balling it.  The wind-on mechanism appears as smooth as ever, so I don't know.  I'm hoping that both issues are due to lack of use and not something more serious. It's been a while since I picked up the OM1, to be honest.  I think I've too many 35mm cameras lying around (I know, it's a nice problem to have).  Maybe I need to be more structured about cycling through them to keep them all in working order. Anyway, I've loaded another film - a short one, just 15 frames - and I'll shoot that and see if either problem recurs.  If it does, I'll have to look into repair options.  

 




2 comments:

  1. John Hermanson repaired my OM-1. He specializes in the single-digit OMs. http://www.zuiko.com/. Unfortunately you'd have to ship the camera to the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. I'll bear him in mind should I need the OM-1 serviced, although I suspect the postage costs would be prohibitive. Plus I suspect I'd get stung for import taxes on the return journey as well - from past experience they tend to slap the tax on first and ask questions later. Often the paperwork involved means it's easier to pay up...something I don't doubt they rely on!

      Delete