Thursday 16 February 2023

Switched on

 I got my cochlear implant switched on yesterday.  It was a tiring day - about 2 hours of programming it to my hearing, identifying low and high volume settings across a range of pitches.  But it works, it's on and I'm getting something through it.  Speech sounds weird.  When my wife talks, it's like nothing is coming out of her mouth, but someone is whispering her words directly into my head.  And it sounds like Marvin the chipmunk speaking into a tin can.  But - and it's a big but - there doesn't seem to be the distortion present that I was getting through my hearing aids, so I'm excited about that.

It's a three-to-six month journey, I'm told.  And I have to walk before I can run.  I'm not too good at that, I have to admit - I want it all, and I want it now.  But I guess I'll have to play the long game.  I have four preset programs to work through over the next 2 weeks and then the device gets remapped again.  And then again a few weeks after that.  It feels good to have started the process - that was a long 3 weeks since the operation.

Boarded-up window in one of my mother's outhouses.  Not quite sure why this one was barred. 
Lith print on Slavich paper.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the successful start to the process. It sounds like a very complicated and miraculous device you have implanted.
    I like the photo of the window. The Slavich paper is interesting and I hope you can get a steady supply. Is it cheaper than Foma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's going very well so far. I have to remind myself it's still only the first few days.

      It's been a while since I bought any Slavich but I don't remember it being any more expensive than Foma. They're all expensive now - although Ilford seems to hold one to that #1 spot with ease, particularly for their Warmtone papers, which are hard to justify.

      The only downside to Slavich is that they don't offer smaller sizes - the last lot I bought were 12x16. I will probably cut down the majority of sheets to a smaller size before using.

      Delete
    2. The Slavich is as cold as the Foma lith papers are warm. Both are very different to each other - and both lovely in their own way.

      Delete