Monday 4 October 2021

Lines

This scene in Portrush caught my eye the other day.  The guy half-way up the steps just turned in my direction as he paused for his dog (hidden in the bushes). 


Portrush, 2021.  OM4ti/85mm, HP5+ in HC-110 on Foma 133 paper.

I'm not sure he adds much, if anything, to the shot - given where's he standing he's not that noticeable. I might have been better waiting until someone was walking down the centre part of the steps, between the two sets of railings.  Or maybe no-one.  Patience was in short supply that morning.

I like the 85mm focal length on 35mm cameras but for the way I shoot it's as long as I want to go these days.  I'd sometimes think I'd like to try something between 50 and 85 but there ain't many about.  I'm not a big fan of zoom lenses - I seem to work better with one camera/one fixed lens combination at a time.  Leica do a 75mm and while I'm sure I would enjoy playing with it their 75mm lenses are all relatively new and therefore somewhat unaffordable.  Besides, I think the Leica works best with wide-angles and 50mm lengths. I've an older 90mm for the M6 which I picked up a few years for not too much money but it doesn't get a lot of use. 

2 comments:

  1. I like the repeating verticals. You should have asked the man to lie down on the stairs in the lower right part of the fame. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...wonder what he might have said to that request! The verticals and the contrasting horizontal steps, cut by the handrails are what caught my eye and the 85mm focal length just compressed the scene perfectly, I think.

      Delete