Thursday 7 October 2021

Dominican College

On Tuesday I said a formal Au Revoir to my fellow Governors at Dominican College, Portstewart and bowed out.  It has been a rewarding experience and hopefully I was of some help in moving the school forward.  I was fortunate in that my tenure coincided with a major expansion of the school (due in part to another school in the area closing) as well as the school reaching its 100th birthday so it was an interesting and challenging period and there was plenty to do.  Dominican College must have one of the most dramatic locations around, perched as it is on the edge of the cliff overlooking Portstewart Bay and out towards the Inishowen Peninsula & Donegal.  We used to meet in the front room which has magnificent views from its three large windows...I must admit there were times during Governors Meetings it was a challenge to concentrate on the matters in hand rather than the matters out there.


Dominican College, Portstewart, Binevenagh in the background.  Donegal lies away to the right, just out of shot.  On the Yashica T4&HP5+, on Foma 133 paper.

There's nice grain in this print, due to the fact that it was taken on the diminutive Yashica T4 point and shoot camera and enlarged to a good degree in the darkroom.  The negative was lacking in bite but in those cases I significantly underexpose under the enlarger and use a heavily diluted developer - with patience the mid-tones and highlights come good.

Before I became a Governor I had no affiliation to the College and although I no longer have a formal role to play any more, I will always think fondly of the place and the people in it.  I feel fortunate to have been part of it, if only for a few years.

4 comments:

  1. A passage. What is next for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My you do ask some difficult questions, Jim! My hearing is so poor now that I have to rely on lip-reading (not easy at the best of times, impossible when people are masked) so I'm relieved to have cleared my desk, as it were. We shall see how things go after cochlear implant surgery, hopefully in the not too distant future.

      Delete
    2. I hope the implant surgery comes soon and works well for you!

      Delete