Monday 6 July 2020

Out standing in his field

One from a while ago, of the Sheep Man and one of his little lambs:

The Sheep Man, on Foma 133 paper

I'd promised Graham a print of this and finally got round to it.  It was taken on a Nikon N80 (badged as F80 in some countries) with Sigma zoom - an autofocus, auto-everything camera which I hate.  Well, you can go manual but it seemed more trouble than it was worth so I just set it on Program mode.  Most of the shots were out of focus as I hadn't realised the focus point was set to the right of middle - this was one of the few ok ones.  I did have a look at the manual for the camera beforehand but I lost interest after the first couple of pages...all those exposure modes!  All those focus modes!  Nah, not for me - just give me a camera with a shutter speed dial and a manual focus lens with an aperture ring and I'm happy. 

3 comments:

  1. "Out standing in his field" Oh ho ho.
    I like the F80 (I wonder why it's F in some countries and N in others) because it has as much or as little automation as I want. It's doesn't hold a candle to my beautiful F6, though. I'm sending my F80 to a friend tomorrow for her to try out, though I think she is probably going to settle on an Olympus Myu so she can fit it in her purse. I'm getting rid of all my equipment except for the Fujifilm X-T3 with two zooms and the F6 with 28, 50, and 85mm primes.
    I'm sure Graham will be very happy with this print. That cute little lamb almost makes me want to become a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have to be a pretty big purse to hold an N80 so I totally get the Myu option. Funny I was looking through an old copy of SLR Camera magazine from the 70s and there was an article by Don Morley - a well respected professional photographer back in the day who was extolling the virtues of the then-new Olympus XA. (I just came across this article which you might find interesting...including the Fuji punchline at the end lol: https://www.macfilos.com/2014/02/17/2014-2-17-don-morley-photo-professional-and-leica-fan/)

      The Dorset lambs are very cute, I have to agree. Although Graham is a Champion Breeder, there are still some of the flock that get sent, as he put it, for kebabs.

      Delete
    2. That is an interesting article. Thanks for sharing. That's quite a kit he's got strapped all around himself. The rifle stock support would get him shot to pieces at an event these days.
      The Fujifilm cameras he mentions at the end are nice cameras, but I don't think they have viewfinders. Dealbreaker for me.

      Delete