Monday 13 July 2020

Foma 133 in Ballintoy

I'm still experimenting with my new-to-me Foma 133 paper.  As I may have said before, it's a silver chlorobromide paper, described as being suitable for portraits and 'retro-styled' imaging (whatever that may be).  It's an interesting one, for sure - about as far from say, Adox MCC paper as you could get, and that's a paper I really like for it's clean, clear look.  The Foma paper has perhaps a look that one would tire of easily, but I'm not there yet.  

This was from Ballintoy last week, when I was out with my favourite model.  That's Sheep island in the near background and Rathlin Island in the distance, some 6 miles or so away. 

Missy, at Ballintoy, July 2020  Hasselblad, 60mm lens

If you're thinking it's a little 'unsharp' for a Hasselblad you'd be correct.  I'd put a UV filter on the front of the 60mm CB lens for a bit of protection.  Well, I thought it was a UV filter, as it looked clear.  When I went to take it off I realised it was a Softar filter, perfect for portraits but probably not the thing usually recommended for landscapes.  But it was a happy accident - I like the result. 

Sheep Island is so-called, by the way, as that was where the locals used to take their valuables some years ago when word reached them that a raiding party was on the way to disrupt their peaceful existence.  It's a natural fortress, with a grassy top, and I'm guessing they had some clever way of getting their livestock (and, presumably, women and children) up on top and then retreating back to the mainland to welcome their not-so-welcome guests with freshly sharpened steel and what have you.  Some weeks, or maybe months later, those that were left standing could go back and be reunited with their loved ones (and sheep). 

2 comments:

  1. Great photo! Composition, light, etc. And I think the soft filter is nice. Like something from the pictorialism era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus - appreciated. And you've made my day with the reference to pictorialism.

      Delete