Monday 6 April 2020

Still life on lockdown

You know things are bad when you start taking photographs of your camera gear.  The sun actually made an appearance last week - briefly - so I quickly got the Sinar 4x5 out and set up a little scene on the garden table.  I say 'quickly' but of course it's all relative - there ain't nothing quick about setting up a 4x5 monorail, that's for sure.  I was worried the light might go, but in the end it stayed bright for a good while...maybe too bright, if anything, as you can see:


Some old gear, via HP5, on Adox MCP paper, light sepia tone

I think I was stopped down to f/22, or f/32 on this one...there isn't much depth of field at the larger apertures at this size.  The camera is the Zeiss 6x9 Nettar I picked up for peanuts at a local auction a while back.  A thing of beauty it is - even if the shutter fails to operate when it's cold, as I found out a couple of times before the lockdown.  Most frustrating when you are out around the coast early morning in freezing conditions with only one camera which then decides not to work and you have to drive back home with nothing to show for your efforts except raw fingers.

If you're interested in the details, it has a Novar-Anastigmat 105mm f/4.5 lens, which stops down to f/22.  Focussing is, of course, not coupled and there is no rangefinder built in - you have to use the one between your ears ;)  The shutter is a Prontor SVS, with 1/300th the fastest speed down to 1s and then B.  Everything seems pretty good on it - speeds sound OK, apertures look fine and while the focussing ring at the front of the lens could be a little smoother it seems to work OK.  There's even a device to prevent double exposures - it only lets you fire the shutter after you've wound on a couple of turns.

The lovely little rangefinder sitting at the front came with the camera, as did the roll of Kodak Verichrome, which was inside it.  There might be something on it, which could be fun to see.  I'm not sending it away, though - I rather like the look of it.  If I home process it I'll re-roll the backing paper onto a spare spool - as I rather like it as a period 'object' to photograph.  The filter, hood and tabletop tripod (Zeiss) were part of the deal as well -  and everything in their original leather cases.

The other camera that came in the same deal was a Kodak Pony 135, which is also in pretty good condition.  The top and bottom plates are metal, while the body is bakelite. There's a Kodak Anaston 44mm f/3.5 lens on it (f/3.5-f/22), with a 4-speed shutter (1/300, 1/100, 1/50, 1/25 and B).  Kodak have tried to make it easy for the user, with markings on the lens to help with exposure.  So if, for example, you have Kodachome loaded on a sunny day, the suggested settings are 1/50s at f/5.6-f/8.  For the faster Ektachrome fillm, f/11 is suggested.  It's a sweet little camera.

I set down a couple of old 35mm film canisters I had from back in the day - including a nice metal one with Kodak embossed on it.


Kodak Pony 135 on the Sinar 4x5 (cropped to square).

Some day soon I'll post some prints from these lovely cameras.






8 comments:

  1. The Pony has a surprisingly good lens. If yours is light tight you will get lovely images from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look forward to that, Jim. Beside the Zeiss the Pony looks very ordinary and to be honest I hadn't given it much attention until I wrote this post. But I can see it has a 'proper' lens and shutter, so I'm intrigued. I'll put a test film of a dozen frames or so through it.

      Delete
  2. Nice fotos. I got some film back a few days ago and realised that I shouldn't be using manual focus cameras anymore. My focus wasn't too bad, but autofocus does a better job than me. Future rolls of film will be going through the F6 or the F80.
    Do you have a developing tank for large format? Or do you use trays or something similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Funny last time I used an AF camera (N80) just about every frame was out of focus...I think I'd moved the focus point to one side and didn't spot it. I wasn't very happy as it was one of the trips to the Sheep Man so it was a bit of waste.

      I have an old Unicolor roller print drum which can take up to 4 4"x5" negs. It has a motorised base and is very handy. Other than that I have used trays but you're in complete darkness - well, a little green light on the Massive Dev App is OK apparently but I don't really trust it so I keep the phone over the other side of the darkroom. The Unicolor drum is much easier - I'm hoping the motorised part will keep going for ever (it's about 40 years old now).

      Delete
    2. Forty years is impressive. Film companies are starting to produce new films and bring back old ones. I wonder if someone will start making things for the darkroom. When will we get a new high quality film camera from anyone other than Leica and Nikon?

      Delete
    3. I'm still learning things - for instance, Nikon made a one-off copy of their S3 rangefinder in 2000, for the Japanese market. And then in 2005 they made another! The SP. Totally re-engineering and hand-crafted from scratch and although prices have dropped it's still Big Money. A thing of beauty it is...

      Nikon/Cosina made their student SLR film camera until relatively recently, but clearly demand was low. There's still enough well-made Pentax, Nikon, Olympus, Canon cameras floating about to meet demand, obviously. The thought of a 'new in box' film camera is really appealing, but £4k for a Leica is above and beyond when there are so many other interesting cameras and lenses out there for a heck of a lot less money.

      Delete
  3. Well, Michael... at least it's not the worst kind of still lives you can stay occupied with :)
    They look great for sure, and I'm just waiting for more.
    Great cameras as well of course. The shutter on the Nettar would be a nice little winter project for the next one coming up in a few months. They should not be too difficult to work on, but then again it's always a matter of interest in addition to requiring half steady hands I guess. The last thing you need are three or four tiny little springs flying all over the kitchen :))
    The Kodak Pony was a nice little thing for sure! I got something similar, but mine is a simpler version for sure. Still some metal on top and bottom and bakelite the rest. I got it for free out of Orkney a few years ago. I really like parts of that camera, so I might pick it out again and shoot a couple of rolls at some point.
    Keep on, and take care my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. I'll let you into a secret - I have the shortest fattest fingers of anyone, so as much as I like the thought of delving into the inner regions of a 50+ year old camera I know that it would not end well. I'd probably have enough parts to make a decent watch afterwards...and no camera.

      Delete