Thursday 9 April 2020

Dune grasses

Dune grass rarely looks anything other than good on B&W print but sometimes it's hard to get an interesting shot - particularly when you're so familiar with the area.  Like most dunes around here there's only a few other shrubs and plants which can tolerate the harsh climate and most of them would cut you to ribbons if you venture too close.  I've no idea what these spiky looking shrubs are called - their black stems made them stand out from the surrounding grass:

Portstewart Dunes, March 2020 HP5 on Ilford Cooltone paper

5 comments:

  1. Great photo. I tried something similar last week and couldn't do anything with it. I think there was a lack of darker plants like you have here and then that nice little bump in the bottom right. Maybe I'll have another look the next time I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. I must have walked this route a thousand times but sometimes you look twice and wonder and sometimes even decide to waste a frame of precious HP5+...and just occasionally it might be worth printing lol

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I walk by a place many times before I can see the photo hidden there.

      Delete
  2. I really love this one! Great diagonal if you look at it a bit grandly, which you do of course. And then there's the things going on with the sea and the distant whatever down there in the lower right corner. I really wish I took that one, but obviously I didn't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy - appreciated. Perhaps this is one for the series on Portstewart Strand that i've been talking about for about 5 years or so. Another 20 years and I might have enough to actually show to people...

      Delete