Tuesday 12 July 2016

Graduation Day

Queen's University Belfast puts on a good show, it has to be said.  The marquees were set up in the courtyard at the back of the Lanyon Building and it was a great setting for the old strawberries and what-have-you.  Even better when they send you the tickets for the after-graduation lawn party by mistake, free of charge.



I didn't attend the ceremony, as tickets were limited.  But then again, I've seen enough graduation ceremonies to do me - usually when stiflingly hot, all robed up on the platform.  I got myself a dander around Queen's instead.  Just next door are the lovely Botanic Gardens, with a seriously impressive glass house:



The Lanyon Building from the side - it was the party sitting on the wall that caught my eye, but I wasn't really close enough to them to make them stand out.  I had the rangefinder with me, with a 21mm lens which is, as you know, on the wide side and I didn't want to scare them by getting too close:



Before and after shots outside the Whitla Hall, where the ceremony took place:



As yes, there was some finery on show that day - it was a good excuse to get dressed up.  And we were lucky with the weather - no rain and the sun actually shone for a while.  Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I love these snaps my friend! And maybe that third one the most of them all, for some reason.
    How on earth would you snap this fantastic scene unless you used that fantastic 21mm...? The party on the bench is one thing, but that beautiful lamp post is a bit more significant, I would think. At least from my point of view. It's really framing the whole scene into something else!
    And yes, if you like to capture people inside that 21mm view you really gonna meet yourself in the door at some point. You would need to get close. Like really, really close... and we don't like that too much, me and you :)))
    The lamp posts are a bit more safe, I would say :)

    ReplyDelete