Thursday 7 July 2022

All the lads, young and old

There was a good mix of girls and boys, young and old at the Ballymoney Show - it's a real family affair.  I'm sure in the farming community these shows are probably a rare day off for many, so everyone is in good spirits - the camaraderie was obvious. When I was lining up the shot in the previous post, of the girl showing her prize-winning Charolais, I suddenly felt my cap being lifted off my head.  The girl's dad (I presume) took it without saying a word to me.  Next thing he was in front of the bull waving it about, trying to distract it and get it to lift its head.  I didn't mind in the least - in fact, I was secretly rather chuffed that he felt comfortable enough to do that...as if my mere presence at the Show meant I had been accepted into the community.  We had a laugh about it as he passed it back to me.  

At times the lads seemed to congregate together - there must have been something of interest with these animals, though I never found out what:

Belted Galloway at the front (not sure of the other ones). 

I like the expression on the boy's face as he looks at the animal in this one:

Again, I'm not sure of the breed but this was definitely one of the smaller animals at the Cattle Show.


No comments:

Post a Comment