Monday 22 February 2021

Top tip for Monday

Like vignetting but don't want to fake it in PS?  Not confident enough in the darkroom? Fear not.  Simply use the wrong lens hood and get a lovely vignette effect for free!

The River Bush, at Bushmills, 2021.  HP5+ on MG Classic fibre paper.

I finally made it 'out' for a photowalk last week, with another film user from the Club.  We decided on Bushmills, home to the famous Whiskey.  The River Bush runs through the village and is really a lovely little river - at this point we are less than a mile away from where it empties into the Atlantic in Portballintrae.  I was a bit rusty with the 'Blad but I stuck the 60mm lens on it (slightly wide-angle) and out we went.  There happened to be a lens hood floating around in the bag...I didn't look too closely at it but just twisted it on and away we went.  The Zeiss lenses for the 'Blad all have a bespoke bayonet filter (and hood) ring - which is handy for a quick change of filter/hood.  Genuine Hasselblad filters don't come cheap, though.  The only alternative is a 67mm bayonet-screw step ring and then normal 67mm filters but even the Fotodiox adapter isn't a tight fit.  But I digress.  When the negatives popped out of the developing tank I noticed severe vignetting on all the shots on the 60mm lens.  Whoops.  Turned out I was using the hood for the 150mm lens.  Ah well, hopefully I won't make that mistake again.   The saving grace is the 6x6 negs are big enough to allow a bit of cropping in the darkroom.  Onwards and upwards...


2 comments:

  1. The vignette's not bad. And the photo is beautiful. I hope you get back there with the proper lens hood. :)

    ReplyDelete