Thursday 2 April 2020

Portrush Plaza

Another place I frequent often (is that a tautology?  Can you frequent somewhere not very often?) is Portrush Plaza, particularly on a sunny day when the lines and geometry of the plaza 'furniture' make for good shots.  This one was from a while back and I was playing around on the computer with a scan of the negative, trying to see if anything could be salvaged from it.  The bottom line is I wasn't sure, but I printed it anyway, so here it is for y'all:

Portrush Plaza, via the 'Blad.
I think it would have benefitted from using a smaller f-stop and keeping the clock tower of the train station in the background a bit sharper.  Also, I wanted a tighter crop on the wooden bench on the foreground - a bit like this (cropped in software):



But when I do this, I lose the square format (well, if I want to keep all the funky light poles in, that is, which I do).  So all in all I don't think this one is for the wall - next time I go there I shall attempt to get the shot I want in camera - which I think is what you're supposed to do anyway ;)

4 comments:

  1. It might possibly (oh ho) be a tautology, but it's a common phrase so maybe it doesn't count? 'Often' is an intensifier of frequent, I guess. Anyway . . .
    What would it look like if you got the whole bench into the frame? Then you could keep the poles and the square format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - perhaps something you can discuss with your students, Marcus ;)

      Yes that might be worth a look - when I ever get back to Portrush I shall try that. I think it's worth persuing.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking just the same thoughts as Marcus above. Try both versions next time, full bench and whatever floats your boat backgroundwise, and then one with the bench as indicated in your crop above. What's essential is that you don't loose the nice poles in there of course. They are there for a reason, as we know! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poles are good, Roy - I like them too. I need to make sure they are separated, of course, so that might be the major constraint on the composition. We shall see!

      Delete