Thursday 25 July 2019

Aliens in Portstewart

Still on Portstewart Prom with Missy, but down at the harbour (which is big enough for half a dozen small fishing & pleasure boats). There was a group of lads jumping off the sea wall and Missy pointed her camera at them. Now I know I might be a teeny bit biased but I think she caught the  moment perfectly:


Aliens!  Portstewart Harbour, July 2019.  Ilford Warmtone RC paper.
When she saw the print she remarked they looked like aliens and I can see what she means. They all had wet suits on cos even in summer the Atlantic is pretty cold.

The first print had a toneless sky so for the second print I pre-flashed the paper for about a second and this was the result. Some folk keep a second enlarger for pre and post-flashing but my darkroom is too small so I just removed the negative carrier, exposed the paper for a second and then put the negative back in and exposed normally. Came out pretty well as there’s still detail in the harbour wall as well as in the sky.

5 comments:

  1. Biased or not, this is a great photograph. If she's this good at Nteen, imagine how talented she'll be in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus appreciate your comment. I have passed on your thoughts to the Wee One and she was suitably pleased&embarrassed. I hope she stays with the photography through what are going to be busy years for her. I wished I'd stayed at it but once my career started I didn't shoot much at all.

      Delete
  2. Another stunner, actually. This was probably not done with that wide angle attached, was it? Anyway, I love the contrasty and silhouetted look of all the main features in the snap, but also the fact that the printer had the decency to bring out some more details in the sky and that lovely backgrounds over there.
    No matter how biased you are, this is a good snap and deserves to be put up on display. Aliens for sure. The jumping guy really looks like something from very far away I must say. I hope her father make sure she will always have a roll of decent B&W film loaded in her OM-1, and that she will be using a lot of it :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cropped a bit in the darkroom, Roy - I'm not sure what lens was on it, to be honest.

      I wish I'd taken that shot. I've tried to many a time without success but Missy here tries it once and gets that result. It's not fair... :) I think if I tried a few more dozen times I'd be hard pushed to get a shot as good. She caught it perfectly.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes she sure did! Exactly in the right fracture of a second. It's perfect, and the person in flight is a study in it's own. I could watch it all day, probably.

      Delete