Thursday 7 February 2019

Weather closing in...

Down on Portstewart Strand the other day and the weather was closing in from Donegal.  I turned earlier than usual and made it back to the car just in time - others weren't so lucky and got caught in a massive hailshower.  All fairly normal for the time of year - full wet weather gear is required pretty much every day when going to the beach.  And on the days when you look out the window and think "Ach I'll chance it today" you're guaranteed to be changing out of wet jeans as soon as you get home...

Portstewart Strand, early February

The couple in the shot were like this for just long enough for me to get one frame off - then they turned and legged it. I’m pretty sure they didn’t succeed in reaching shelter before the hail started.

Via the Nikon and an old Vivitar Series 1 zoom lens @ 85mm or thereabouts. HP5 in RO9 but I think it had gone off as the negs were very grainy and very low in contrast. I was lucky - the low contrast suited this scene OK, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to trust RO9 as much as I would have liked. It might be back to ID-11 for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I like beaches in the winter because there usually aren't as many people. The beach closest to me is now Gangneung City's Coffee Street and it's packed at the weekends and on holidays. I don't bother going unless it's a weekday. And never when the weather is warm.
    I like overcast weather for photography, but it's been sunny, sunny, sunny all the time this winter. Maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and try to get up and out when the sun is low on the horizon. But bed so comfy . . . .
    I like almost-empty beach photos. This one is moody and beautiful. I have a similar one of a woman in a bright red jacket standing small against the blue ocean and the grey clouds. I suppose I'll come across it as I go back through my archive organising photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Marcus - in the summer our beaches are best avoided after about 9am. The North Coast of Ireland is a popular holiday area for everyone in Northern Ireland (and beyond) - the beaches are clean and as a result get very busy. It's always great come September when the schools start back and they can be reclaimed by their rightful owners ;)

      Delete