Monday 13 November 2017

(Just Get A) Grip (On Yourself)

Found this one the other day lurking in one of the boxes of prints from the 70s:



One of The Brother's, I think. Definitely his writing, anyway.  I can just make out enough of the words to recognise the lyrics of a track from my all-time favourite band of that era - The Stranglers.  Their early stuff was just right down my street and the deal was sealed when they came to the New University of Ulster (as it was called then) and I got the chance to see them live.  Little did I know I'd end up working there some 35 years later.  The lyrics are from the iconic song Grip, or to give it its proper title (Just Get A) Grip (On Yourself).  In latter years their lead singer/guitarist Hugh Cornwell left and although they're still performing it just ain't the same.  But, if you're interested, you can see the original lineup playing Heroes and Something Better Change live at the Hope&Anchor in 1977 by clicking here. It takes me back years, that one does - all that teenage sweat and what-have-you.  Flip me I enjoyed those gigs, I really did!

2 comments:

  1. I can really feel the joy from the days long gone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - joy it was/is! Funny how something like that just takes you back to when it was all new and exciting. Good times.

      Delete