Monday 30 September 2024

Gentleman, in Oxford

One from my last walk around Oxford City Centre for a while:

HP5+ in Ilfotec HC, on old Kentmere fixed grade paper

I didn't look too closely at the gentleman before taking the shot and when I saw the print it made me wonder about his situation.  He is very well dressed, complete with long overcoat and rolled umbrella.  But he does have a lot of cases with him and what appears to be a can of beer on the ground beside him (and a coffee cup). If he wasn't so well dressed I might think he was a 'gentleman of the road', but that doesn't go with his attire.  He shall remain an enigma.

I took a little Olympus Mju-1 point 'n' shoot with me this time, to see how it would fare.  The answer was it fared pretty good.  These are tiny wee slide-across-clam-shell cameras, auto-everything with a 35mm f/3.5 lens and it worked a treat.  A contrasty lens which focusses down to 0.35m, which is rather useful at times. It's so small you can stick it in a coat pocket and not notice it, so it was perfect for this trip.

I should have read up about the camera a bit more than I did before taking it, as I've a nice date-stamp on all the negatives.  This feature can be turned off, I now know.  

3 comments:

  1. Great photo. I owned the same camera and didn't like it because I had to turn off the flash every time I turned on the camera. It would be nice to have a compact camera again, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hmm...shows how much I was paying attention, I didn't notice anything untoward with the flash. I must take a look.

      Delete
  2. Come to think of it, I had the Mju ii, so that might different than yours.

    ReplyDelete