Thursday 20 August 2020

American Girl

I liked a lot of Tom Petty's songs back in the day and American Girl was a good 'un.  This shot was from a couple of years ago when Missy & I paid a visit to The Brother.  We had gone downtown Chicago to see some prints of a certain Mr Ansel Adams and this was taken on Michigan Avenue on the Hasselblad with a standard 80mm lens:


On Fotospeed Oyster RC paper.

I printed it this morning (that would be yesterday if you're reading the day of publication) and was just using up some old paper that, well, needed using up - in this case some 5"x7" RC paper.   So the image itself is a whopping 10cm x 10cm in size.  Actually it's kinda cute, this small.  I should do more this size.  When I started printing seriously again, a few years ago, I couldn't wait to print big.  And yes, big is beautiful but small is rather nice too, I'm finding.

The print is much nicer than the scan, by the way, which looks a bit dull on my screen.  

I seriously need to get out and about this week and snap something interesting but it's still busy as heck out there.  One more week and schools will be starting up again and hopefully everyone will bugger off back to their homes...I mean their first homes.   The weather is starting to change as autumn is nearly upon us - we had a serious bit of wind here last night which meant this morning I've been out tidying up - small branches and detritus everywhere.  I'm not mad keen on summer here as a time for photography but the light is starting to get a bit cleaner and the stronger winds will bring more interesting skies so I'm excited for the coming months.  




4 comments:

  1. An Irish girl on Michigan Ave. is about as American of a portrait as anyone can make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this sort of portrait - a person seen in an environment that tells a story. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. I’m in agreement - I don’t like studio portraits, I much prefer photographs of people in their workplace or on the street or just sitting in their own home.

      Delete